nav-left cat-right
cat-right

ANCIENT AND MODERN…..

ANCIENT AND MODERN…..

dsc_1082

2 days ago, i was privileged to speak at the popular New Estate Baptist Church; it was their Parents/Teens forum. Prior to then, the week before, two women, much older than I am, who were representatives of the church came to meet me in the office on the recommendation of a mentor, to invite me to speak in their church. They waited at the reception for me for a little while i went to meet with them a short while after which i went to meet with them. When i greeted them, they responded and appeared to want to hear that i was the PA to “Tope Akinyemi”. When i told them i was the one, they expressed serious surprise. They said they never expected someone that young.

Anyways, we spoke and locked down that date for the program. I had mixed feelings about that meeting because i was going to be speaking to an audience of much older people about parenting.

The day came and I attended the program. It was a good and different meeting from what i’ve been used to. Contrary to what i’ve seen in times past, teenagers spoke openly about issues they had been having with their parents. It’s a close knit family church. I’d like to highlight a few of the things i spoke about briefly:

There are good parents and there are great parents. What differentiates both is the information they have, and their approach to parenting in this information age.

For example, a good parent is a 19th Century parent while a great parent is a 21st Century parent. Conventional parenting cannot achieve effective results these days. Creativity, innovation and a lot of wit, while retaining core values are essential in parenting in these times.

There are two points i’ll like to address. One is the fact that when people become parents, they forget the challenges they had as children and deal with the children as if they never passed through that phase. I’m not talking indulgence or laxity, am talking empathy. Take for example the teenage period which is a very difficult phase for the children, a lot of love, support and listening ear are required. Let’s be firm, show love and answer all their questions; let’s be there for them.

The second point addresses what characterizes the 21st Century – the internet. Any parent who doesn’t know how to use the internet in this age is courting trouble in wholesale quantity. To make sense and be relevant today, we need to understand the prevalent language. We need to understand the internet sufficiently to know what’s fraudulent and what’s legit. I heard a few weeks ago about a young boy who wanted to do a legit internet business and because his mother was not computer literate, she thought he was going into yahooyahoo and so used all kinds of ways to make him discontinue the business (blackmail, pleading…etc) I like the saying “every man’s mountain is his ignorance”

For young parents, there’s a lot to be done at the foundation level, in building values and principles, godly lifestyle, etc. This has to be done intentionally and painstakingly one day at a time. More importantly, let our lives reflect those same things that we teach. Let’s be examples indeed. It suffices to say that God will hold us accountable for how they turn out. Their future and destinies, alive or dead is in our hands; it’s scary but true!

Have a nice week…..

8 Responses to “ANCIENT AND MODERN…..”

1. Niyioski says:

Being invited to speak to people who seem to be ahead of you is a sign of divine choice and promotion, remember it is not ageism these days anymore, it is “knowledgeism” like you pounted out. Great point you made on ignorance being the distinction between good and great parents. I have been thinking so passionately about how much difference knowledge can make in our lives and I am tempted to say your ignorance/knowledge determines EVERYTHING!!! Welldone Topsy.

2. JesusFreak says:

God bless you mam..

I guess they should check out this:

The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre, W.TEC, is a Nigerian non-governmental organisation working to empower girls and women socially and economically, using information and communication technologies (ICTs).

Their work is carried out through projects and workshops, which help to build technology skills and literacy among women.

Lean more here:

3. Justdoyin says:

“when people become parents, they forget the challenges they had as children and deal with the children as if they never passed through that phase”…very good point Tope.

@ Niyi; “Being invited to speak to people who seem to be ahead of you is a sign of divine choice and promotion”…yes oh, I can’t agree less…

@ Jesus freak; “Any parent who doesn’t know how to use the internet in this age is courting trouble in wholesale quantity.”

while I’m grateful that u took time out to provide this link, I can’t help but point out that “Parent” refers to father (man) and mother (woman)…why’s the link for women only? lol…

4. For me, speaking to older people or younger people is not too difficult. what is challenging to me is speaking to my colleagues or age group.

More speaking doors will open to you in Jesus name. The difference between good and great is information. Thats one point i will always remember.

5. Abimbola Oki says:

Thanks Madam.

6. anuoluwapo says:

hi tope,

this is my first time on your site! good job uv done so far,kip i uuuupppp.

need i say more, there is an anoiting that comes with parenting. i only pray that our generation will be vigorous and passionate about it not leaving any stone untouched!

7. Remsco says:

Hi T,

Gr8 to see you’re impacting this generation with the word of God. One thing I can say for sure is that a lot of things are not the way they are meant to be anymore and be it parenting, marriage, singlehood, career development and life choices in general, people should be able to find solution in the church. This is where solace must be to whatever it is they are passing through, no matter how uncommon the situation may be.

Kudos to you sister and May the Lord’s wisdom continue to guide you accordingly.

Cheers

8. Tolulope Ogundipe says:

Tope,

You always prove me right at every opportunity you have, a talk of this kind may be assumed to be relevant from someone who has mastery of the subject matter, you are not only a master of this subject, but you are indeed a shining example of what motherhood and parenting should be-………………..a doff of hat for you.